It’s no secret that meal replacement shakes have become a staple resource for people who want to accelerate fat loss without sacrificing protein and other essential nutrients.
And it’s also no secret that ever since meal replacement shakes became all the rage a couple of decades back, they can now be found in droves, lining the shelves of both retail and online health and fitness stores.
Given our society’s increasing infatuation with being in better health and better shape, meal replacement shakes have never been more popular.
One of the more popular brands currently on the market is Ideal Shape’s line of meal replacement products. In this review, we’re going to take a detailed look at what their shakes have to offer, including their ingredients, overall taste profile, satisfaction level, and their biggest pros and cons.
Ingredients, Nutrients, Vitamins, and Minerals
How Many Calories Are In Ideal Shape Shakes?
Ideal Shape shakes are among the lowest in calories per serving that we’ve reviewed to date, at 100 calories per serving (25 from fat).
Here is a overview of calories in each IdealShake flavor:
- Chocolate: 100 Calories
- Strawberry: 100 Calories
- Vanilla: 100 Calories
- Mocha: 100 Calories
- Cookies ‘N Cream: 110 Calories
- Chocolate Cream Pie: 100 Calories (Newest Flavor)
How Much Protein Per Serving? Fats? Carbs?
One level scoop (30g) of an Ideal Shape shake contains 11g of protein (right at one-third of the total content per scoop).
That same amount contains 3g of total fat (0.5g saturated) and 10g of total carbohydrates (5g dietary fiber; 1g sugars).
Other macronutrients include:
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Potassium: 180mg
*Note: The above information came from Mocha IdealShake. Other flavors are very similar in macronutrients and nutrients.
What Vitamins and Minerals Does It Contain?
Ideal Shape Shakes contain 21 different vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin A: Improves eyesight, promotes healthy skin, and boosts immune system
- Calcium: Strengthens bones and teeth and improves nerve communication
- Vitamin D: Supports heart health, bone healthy, and healthy immune system
- Vitamin B: Supports nerve cell and muscle function.
- Niacin: Helps maintain healthy levels of good cholesterol
- Folate: Helps regulate brain functions and improves mood
- Biotin: Promotes healthy nails and skin
- Phosphorous: Supports bone and muscle health
- Magnesium: Supports healthy kidneys and heart
- Copper: Increases energy and supports healthy blood and nerve function
- Vitamin C: Promotes a strong immune system
- Iron: Increases energy and promotes blood health
- Vitamin E: Helps protect the brain and liver
- Riboflavin: A metabolic agent that targets fat and increases energy
- Vitamin B6: Breaks down the protein consumed daily
- Vitamin B12: Promotes red blood cell production
- Pantothenic Acid: Helps turn food into energy
- Iodine: Supports the thyroid gland
- Zinc: Supports the immune and respiratory systems
- Chloride: Essential for digestive health
What Flavors Are Available?
Ideal Shape shakes are currently offered in six different flavors: Mocha, Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Cookies ‘N Cream and Chocolate Cream Pie.
IdealShape has added a new flavor to their selection – Chocolate Cream Pie.
Based on the research we’ve performed (and other Ideal Shape shake reviews) the overall flavor profile of each flavor is well received. If there were one shake flavor that was the least liked among users, it would be Mocha.
Each flavor contains only 1g of sugar per serving, but still seems to be able to keep a sweeter flavor profile.
What Is The Consistency Like?
Where Ideal Shape is well known for its great tasting shakes, its shake consistency is still open for debate.
From what we’ve uncovered, it’s a virtual split between consumers who like the consistency of Ideal Shape shakes and those that no longer use the product because of its consistency issues.
The most common complaint was that the shakes were too thin and too similar to drinking a slightly thicker version of water. However, several of those who did not like the shake’s consistency did confirm that the shakes mixed well with other beverages.
Some consumers recommended using coconut milk as a mixing agent to help thicken it up a bit, while one person recommended using flax seeds to get an extra bit of healthy fats, in addition to adding a bit more body to the shake.
In the end, it all boils down to personal preference. If you insist that your meal replacement shake shares the same consistency as a milkshake, then you’re probably better off going with another brand.
On the other hand, if you don’t mind a shake that’s a bit on the thin side, then feel free to try Ideal Shape shakes. The protein, nutrients, vitamins, and minerals included in the shake more than make up for its lack of consistency.
What Does Ideal Shape Use to Curb Hunger?
Where many meal replacement shakes tend to use mostly fiber to fill consumers up, Ideal Shape takes a broader approach, using a combination of whey protein, fiber, and a hunger-blocker called Slendesta.
Slendesta is an all-natural potato protein extract found just beneath the potato’s skin. This protein is extracted and used for the sole purpose of blocking hunger.
How it works is that it commands the body to produce more CCK (cholecystokinin), which communicates to the body that it is full.
According to Ideal Shape, Slendesta doesn’t conflict with your body’s natural metabolism, nor does it give you that jittery, anxious feeling like other hunger inhibitors.
While the information and evidence backing Slendesta seems sound, we’ve not had enough experience with it to form a concrete conclusion regarding its hunger blocking capabilities.
Regardless of whether it’s the fiber or Slendesta doing the appetite curbing, there’s no doubt that Ideal Shape shakes are very effective at it.
How Long Is Hunger Curbed on Average?
Ideal Shape shakes tend to curb hunger from approximately 2-4 hours. The amount of time is different per person, taking into account metabolism, physical activity, and other similar factors.
Consumers who appeared to only be drinking the shakes (and not participating in physical exercise) tended to stay full for around 3 hours.
Based on other meal replacement shakes we’ve researched and reviewed, Ideal Shape shakes have one of the longest appetite suppression time frames. In our opinion, this is its greatest advantage over its competition.
IdealShape Reviews & Results
If you were to ask us to summarize the typical results consumers reported while using Ideal Shape shakes, we would conclude the following:
- It was a common occurrence for users to lose around 5 lbs. within the first 2-3 weeks. After that period, further results appeared to be dependent upon whether the person exercised or not.
- People who did not work out, yet continued to drink the shakes in place of one or two meal throughout the day, still lost additional weight, but at a slower rate (between 1-2 pounds every 1-2 weeks).
- People who exercised in addition to drinking the shakes tended to lose more weight at a more rapid pace (3-4 pounds every week). One person reported losing a total of 19 pounds in only six weeks.
- Naturally, the more meals replaced with the shakes, the more weight was lost. However, keep in mind that it’s recommended you use two scoops with one shake. That means replacing one meal a day with one package of Ideal Shape shakes will last approximately 15 days.
Pros and Cons
- Low calorie and low sugar. Ideal Shape shakes contain only 100 calories and 1g of sugar per serving – the lowest in each category of all meal replacement shakes we’ve reviewed thus far.
- Great appetite curbing. As we stated above, on average these shakes suppress hunger for up to 4 hours.
- Good quantity of protein. Ideal Shape shakes contain 11g of protein per serving. That equates to 22g of protein per meal replaced (if you use two scoops as recommended).
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee. Anytime we see a guarantee with a perishable product like meal replacement shakes, we get a little giddy. That’s because we know the company is confident in the quality it provides its consumers.
- Too thin for some consumers. There were a handful of complaints about the lack of consistency (or thickness) in the shakes. One consumer reported using flax seeds to thicken it up.
- Reports of poor customer service. One consumer complained about not getting a call back after calling about getting their money back on four separate occasions.
Where to Buy Ideal Shape Shakes
We recommend purchasing Ideal Shape shakes from the company’s main site at www.Idealshape.com. While the shakes are occasionally offered on marketplaces but we highly recommend buying through the Official IdealShape website for safety & security purposes.
- All orders come with a free shaker bottle and Idealshape Smoothie Recipes Book (Volume 2)
- Multiple order options available:
$49.99 for 30-Day Supply
$89.99 for 60-Day Supply (includes IdealPlan ebook)
$129.99 for 90-Day Supply (w/ebook)
$159.99 for 120-Day Supply (w/ebook)
Final Verdict Of Our Ideal Shape Review
In comparison with the other meal replacement shakes we have reviewed so far, we have to say that Ideal Shape shakes are our favorites.
While they’re not as cheap as purchasing meal replacement shakes from discount grocery stores, they’re still cheaper than competitors who don’t offer the same amount of quality as Ideal Shape.
The combination of having a good flavor profile, the ability to blend and mix well with a variety of ingredients, and the substantial amount of protein, nutrients, vitamins, and minerals gives us the confidence to recommend Ideal Shape shakes to anyone committed to losing weight and getting in better shape.
Have you used Ideal Shape meal replacement shakes in the past? How was your experience?
Feel free to share it with us in the comments below!