Meal replacement shakes and protein powders are becoming more and more popular with those who want to easily and quickly slim down and build muscle. They are especially great for those who do not want to sacrifice nutritional value and keep themselves healthy while trying to get fit.
As the world of these shakes and powders continues to grow, they can easily be found wherever food items are sold. From drugstores to dollar stores and everywhere in between. But, how is one supposed to pick a safe, quality, and dependable brand with so many out there to simply take your money?
A popular and dependable brand out there today GNC. This brand makes both meal replacement shakes and protein powders; which give anyone the chance to build muscle, slim down, and lose weight without sacrificing their nutrition or hurting their body. Today, we will be taking a closer look at our GNC Total Lean Shake review.
We will be taking an in depth look at what the shakes are made of, the nutritional value, as well as the consistency and GNC Lean Shake reviews from different consumers. Get ready to learn more about GNC Lean Shakes and decide if these might be the right type of meal replacement and nutritional shake for your life.
*All information under this bolded heading is taken from the GNC Lean Shake in the flavor of Swiss Chocolate. The nutritional information in other flavors may differ slightly.
* View more details at the GNC Total Lean shake page
One 27 oz container of GNC Total Lean Shakes contains approximately 16 servings at 2 scoops per serving. The 2 scoop servings each have a total of 180 calories with 20 of them being from fat.
Nutrient Information: How Much Cholesterol? Protein? Etc.
One serving of the Total Lean Shake (2 level scoops) contains approximately 9 grams of protein along with:
- Sugars: 4 grams
- Soluble Fiber: 5 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 8 grams (30% of your daily intake)
- Total Fat: 2 grams (0.5 of it being saturated fats)
- Sodium: 250 milligrams (10% of daily intake)
- Potassium: 150 milligrams (4% of daily intake)
- Cholesterol: 5 grams (2% of daily intake)
What Vitamins and Minerals Do Total Lean Shakes Contain?
These shakes provide drinkers with vitamins and minerals that are part of a healthy and balanced diet. The unique mix contains 21 different vitamins and minerals including:
- Vitamin E: Protects against neurological disease, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s
- Thiamin: Helps maintain healthy nervous system and cardiovascular system
- Riboflavin: Treats migraines, boosts energy, and prevents anemia
- Niacin: Boosts amounts of “good cholesterol” in the blood stream
- Vitamin B6: Helps the health of heart, liver, eyes, skin, and hair
- Folic Acid: Greatly reduces the chances of birth defects
- Vitamin B12: Boost immune system, boosts energy, great for skin health
- Biotin: Promotes growth of hair and nails. Can improve breast health
- Pantothenic Acid: Alleviates conditions like asthma, stress related anxiety, and hair loss
- Calcium: Great for bone health, including teeth
- Iron: Increases energy and fights anemia
- Phosphorus: Works with calcium to promote bone and teeth health
- Iodine: Important part of proper thyroid function
- Magnesium: Helps prevent coronary heart disease and insulin resistance
- Zinc: Helps support your immune system
- Selenium: Decreases inflammation and protects against prostate cancer in men
- Copper: Helps with formation of cologne and promotes health in the liver, skeletal muscle and kidneys
- Chromium: Helps to regulate blood sugar levels
- Molybdenum: Protects against cancer and prevents autoimmune and inflammatory disease
- Potassium: Helps Promote bone and muscle health, helps regulate blood sugar, and keeps blood pressure in check
Taste and Consistency
GNC Total Lean shakes come in a variety of different flavors, made to accommodate the unique tastes of almost any consumer. The most popular flavors of consumers seems to be Cookies and Cream, Vanilla Bean, and Swiss Chocolate. Although this is not a comprehensive list of all flavor’s offered; these do seem to be the most popular and those that are most liked by consumers.
The least liked flavor, based on GNC Lean Shake reviews, would be vanilla bean. One reviewer even said, “It is just very bland. I like it, but there are other flavors that are more enjoyable.”
What Is The Consistency Like?
From what we have uncovered with research, the consistency of these shakes are highly enjoyable. Most consumers do not seem to have a big issue with the consistency. Since it is a shake you mix with water, some say that a little bit of extra powder may be needed to make it a thicker more desirable shake like consistency.
Just like many other products out there, although there are many that like the shake consistency, there are also those who do not. It truly all seems to come down to personal preference. While some are fine with the consistency, others would prefer for it to be thicker and creamier. The classic consistency is fairly thin and some say that the colors lighter in flavor tend to feel a chalky in the mouth.
Some consumers say that adding a thickening agent may be a good option. However, there are others who argue that adding a thickening agent could actually give negative effects to what is a relatively healthy option you can use to help slim down and build muscle. In the end, if you are looking for a very thick, milkshake like consistency this is not the brand for you. Since you do only mix it with water, the shake is particularly thin.
Does It Suppress Appetite?
GNC shakes have been clinically tested and it has been shown to suppress appetite and curb cravings. This is why many consumers actually prefer to use GNC Total Lean Shake as a meal substitute, often breakfast. Many consumers online claim that it suppresses hunger longer when the substitute is used in the morning. Countless review on Amazon.com claim that this shake suppresses hunger either before or after a workout. However, it seems that hunger stays suppressed longer if the shake is consumed after a workout or if you do not exercise at all within a few hours of consuming the shake.
Most meal supplement shakes and powders are meant to suppress appetite for a few hours; mostly around 2-4. Consumers seem to have mixed reviews about how long that GNC shakes really do suppress hunger. It appears that GNC Total Lean Shakes do their job well, leaving most consumer full for 2-3 hours; a good mid-range number considering the average of 2-4. However, research shows that consumers who do more physical activity while using the shakes as a meal substitute do not stay full as long as those who have low physical activity while drinking the shakes in place of a meal.
How Does It Suppress Appetite?
You know that these shakes surpass appetite, but how does it do it? How can some powder mixed with water keep you from being hungry between meals; helping you to lose weight? Packaging claims that the GNC Total Lean Shakes are 3X more likely than other meal replacement shakes and powders to burn calories, and keep you fuller for longer.
The secret to keeping you full is actually much simpler than you may have first thought—whey protein isolate. This is a filling protein that not only keeps you full but has been shown by the FDA to promote the build of lean muscle. This is why the Total Lean Shakes are not only great for those who want to lose weight, but for those who want to build muscle and strengthen themselves. These truly are not your regular meal replacement shake.
Whey protein is essentially just part of milk and cheese production. It is, in fact, a product that is left over during cheese production and is often thrown away. When used as a supplement it comes in three different forms:
GNC shakes use whey protein isolate; a form of whey protein that has minimal fat and 90% more protein than the other two forms. It also is low in both lactose and cholesterol. The high amount of protein helps to keep you full longer and the combination of minimal fat and cholesterol allows your body to burn its existing fat stores instead of burning off what you have just eaten. This is how you begin to drop fat from those pesky areas such as your stomach and thighs.
GNC Lean Shake Reviews & Results
If we had to summarize what we have learned due to research and reviews about Total Lean shakes it would be the following:
- They curb appetite well, but may not be the best shake on the market for those who do a lot of physical activity
- It was common for most consumers to loose between 5 and 7 pounds within 3 weeks if they drank the shakes as a replacement for 1 meal and kept up a regular workout routine
- Some consumers claimed that a chalky after taste turns them off of the flavors that are lighter in color
- It is recommended that only two meals a day are replaced with the Total Lean Shakes; as substituting more does not guarantee more weight lost
Pros and Cons
- Using Whey Protein Isolates means you are taking in minimal fat
- 21 vitamins and minerals help balance your diet
- Even with eating less, you still feel full
- You are in taking at least 9g of protein
- Low sugar and low calorie helps you keep off weight and manage blood sugar levels
- Some consumers complain of a chalky after taste in lighter colored flavors
- Some consumers claim 2 scoops does not offer a good thickness
- Some consumers did not find the consistency to be appealing
- Consumers who were highly physically active complained of their “full” feeling fading only after about an hour or two; way less than the packaging claims
Where to Buy GNC Total Lean Shakes
Total Lean Shakes are available at select retailers and online at www.amazon.com/totallean
- Shakes start at $9.99
- Buy a 1.7lbs tub of replacement shakes for $33.99 (best online offer)
For quality and safety reasons it is recommended that you purchase your shakes through GNC Official Page over at Amazon for deeper discount and Free Shipping!
It seems as if GNC Total Lean Shakes come down to personal preference and personal lifestyle. Although they appear to not work for everyone, those who hold the right lifestyle can use these shakes as a great weight loss tool.
With a lower price that traditional meal replacement shake offers online, Total Lean maybe the best option for someone who wants to get fit on a budget.
The shakes ability to blend well with water and offer a good consistency seemed to be enjoyed by most consumers. The verdict is: GNC Total Lean Shakes are a great option for those trying to lose weight and build muscle; without having to deprive themselves of nutrients or that “full” feeling.
Have you used GNC Total Lean shakes in the past? How was your experience?
Feel free to share it with us and others in the comments below!